Saturday, December 10, 2016

Hello! My Name is Camilla Pernell

I'm a 15 year old girl who loves singing, dancing, exercising, reading, and being with friends. I'm goofy, I make mistakes, and I always strive to be the best me I can be.
file_000
My friend, Dylan, and me
One particularly strong interest of mine is my love for studying Japanese. Japanese is a beautiful language that I've learned consistently since eighth grade, but have dreamed of speaking fluently since fifth. Now, thanks to the immense generosity of AFS (http://www.afsusa.org/), I am going to Japan for a year!
I know going to Japan will seem like a new life. After all, I've lived in in the same house for all my life, and I've known some of my friends since preschool. So when I think about my upcoming adventure, feelings of anticipation, anxiousness, and glee course through me. But most of all, I feel grateful for all the help I've received from AFS and my mom. afs-logo
Why Study Abroad?
Perhaps my most practical reason for studying abroad is fluency. I want to be able to read novels, watch shows, and talk to friends in Japanese. I hope to even become a translator in the future. I'm also excited to meet many new people who have grown up in completely different environments! I think people are amazing, so being able to experience such an interesting culture is the opportunity of a lifetime. I want to eat ramen straight from Japan, go to purikura, wear a uniform for the first time in my life, learn the fashion trends in Japan, watch interesting Japanese shows, and have a host family that I'll love. All of these reasons (and even more!) are why I want to go to Japan with AFS.japan-photo
After the exchange, I hope to use my knowledge from Japan in assisting me with everyday life. I cannot wait for the surprises, challenges, and lessons I will learn. I don't know what to expect, which makes me even more excited.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!, what I think your doing is pretty cool. I've been wanting to go on a yearlong exchange since my freshman year (I'm a junior now) and I'll probably go after my senior year. Do you have any advice about learning Japanese? It's my biggest concern, :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave any questions, comments, etc. and I'll respond asap!