Monday, June 26, 2017

Appearing on Japanese Television!

Last Saturday, I was on Japanese television! The segment I was on was in the news for about a minute and a half, not long at all, but I had a mini-interview within that time.


So, why was I on the news?

My LP coordinator, Rika Kubota, invited everyone in my chapter (Miyazaki prefecture) to Miyazaki's agricultural high school. This meant my friend Maggie and I were waking up at seven on a Saturday, and our friend Nina was catching a train to get to Miyazaki city at about the same time.

But, contrary to being sleepy, everyone was excited. The only thing we knew was that we would be taking an emergency course for what foods to cook if an earthquake occurs. We were looking forward to talking to the students who would be helping out with the course and making new friends! I set a goal for myself to be energetic, positive, and fun.

We arrive, and after a few shorts icebreakers and a slideshow, I finally notice a cameraman. I turn to a girl I had gotten close to, Ayaka, and whisper, "Whoa...is this going on the news?"

"Yup! I think so!"

I then ask my LP, and she tells me that she thinks it's advertisement for the school.

So, we proceeded to be filmed throughout picking vegetables from the school garden and preparing dishes.

 I was getting to be friendly with the cameraman, as well as someone that I think was a news reporter. So who knows, maybe I'll be in some newspaper as well!

Overall, the whole experience was super fun and I'm really glad that Rika organized for us to go. Other than the three AFS high school students, there were 3 college exchange students and a grown woman from the United States. Everyone was super friendly! I'd say that the foods we made were definitely more about Japanese culture than "survival" foods, because all of them required some type of heat ahah. 10/10 experience!
Mochi

Miso Soup

My table of dishes

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to make these dishes for me when you get home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you to try out your new culinary skills in Denver!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing that you're staying there for a whole year! It looks like you've lots of fun and enjoy it as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete

Leave any questions, comments, etc. and I'll respond asap!